Anyone can join in our guided rides. All you need is a bike, a helmet, a bottle of water and be confident that you could cover the distance in the time we have – even if you’ll need a bit of encouraging to get there! Rides will generally be ridden at the pace of the slowest riders; our aim is to enjoy cycling, meet new riders and gain confidence on the roads around South Oxfordshire. Join us on a Sunday morning for coffee at Rides on Air followed by a friendly ride where no one is left behind.
Rides on Air 50km @ 25km/h Ride
- Meet at Rides on Air at 8.00am for coffee, leave at 8.30am
- Ride leaves shortly after 9.30am
- 31 miles at 15mph avg.
- Rides last 2 to 2 1/2 hours
- Anyone over 16 is welcome
- A road bike is preferable
The rides are free, just bring a little coffee and cake money.
- Tell a member of staff at Rides on Air;
- Email email@example.com;
- Tweet @velo_tutor;
- Call us on 01491 839945;
and tell us which ride you’d like to do and on what date.
Rides will start at Rides on Air in Wallingford. We’ll meet half an hour before the ride starts for a coffee and chat, just to get us in the mood.
- All riders must wear a helmet conforming to EN 1078:1997 or SNELL B-95.
- If low light conditions are likely it is recommended you have a front and rear light, and wear bright, reflective clothing.
- All riders will adhere to the Highway Code at all times.
- Riders should bring an inner tube suitable for their wheels. (You don’t need to know how to change a tube, that can be done for you if you wish.)
- Riders should bring at least one bidon (water bottle) of water, and a snack if they feel they need it.
- It is a social ride, not a race:
- we ride to the speed of the slowest rider, and never complain if we feel it is too slow;
- riders climb hills at their own pace and wait at the top if necessary, or better still, give it another go!;
- riders can push on ahead, but must wait for the group at junctions;
- riders should never feel they have to apologise for the speed they ride.
- The ride distances and projected speeds are published beforehand, please only enter rides you feel you have a chance of completing, you’ll get plenty of encouragement to help you on your way.
Frequently asked questions
What kind of bike do I need?
The riding is all on road, so it needs to be road-worthy. For the intermediate rides you’ll find it easier to keep the pace on a proper road bike, but for the beginners ride any well maintained bike will do.
Will there be more advanced rides?
At the moment we’re offering just the two rides, but if there is enough interest then yes, a faster, longer ride will be included.
Will the rides happen all year round?
The intermediate ride will be all year, in all conditions. The beginners ride is likely to run between May and December. However, if there is enough beginner interest to go through the winter then we’ll do rides all year.
What if I’m not fast enough?
If you’re not quite fast enough, don’t worry. The rides are social rides and we’ll never leave anybody behind. On climbs and descents riders can go at the pace they’re comfortable with but we’ll all regroup at the top and bottom. And, you’ll receive plenty of encouragement.
Recent Sunday Rides
Get ride updates
Sunday 22nd September
Intermediates meet at Rides on Air at 8.00am, leaving at 9.30am